Friday, February 13, 2009

Wild Rice Soup

This is great for a cold winter day. It's super yummy and different from your typical soup.
1 (6 oz) pkg. Wild Rice (I think I used Uncle Ben's, which you can find next to the Rice-a-Roni's and things)
1 c. finely chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried chervil (which I didn't have, so I just left it out)
1 tsp. or more curry powder (I like curry, so I added more for a stronger flavor)
1/2 tsp. dried mustard
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 (8 oz) pkg. sliced fresh mushrooms (which I avoided since I don't like them. You can leave them out or put them in for the flavor, then take them out later. I like the flavor, just hate the sliminess)
1/2 c. thinly sliced celery
1/2 c. flour
6 c. chicken broth
2 c. half and half
Cook wild rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, cook onion and next 5 ingredients in butter in a large Dutch oven (or wok) over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until onion is tender.
Add mushrooms and celery; cook, stirring constantly, until mushrooms are tender. Reduce heat to low. Add flour, stirring until blended. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Gradually add chicken broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
Stir in cooked rice, half-and-half and cook until thoroughly heated. Yield: 12 cups

2 comments:

Mary said...

This sounds so yummy! I love soup and I love rice! This will be on my table soon.

Yadira said...

I am going to make this tonight, I think. Jorge loves wild rice soup and I made it once but this recipe doesn't sound so fattening as the other one I made which bacon and bacon drippings was one of the ingredients.

WANT TO CONTRIBUTE?

We would love to have your recipes! If you would like to contribute to this blog, send me an email at maryhicken@gmail.com and I will send you an author invite!

Recipe Requests

Looking for a certain recipe? Then ask around for it here!

Index