Sunday, April 6, 2008

Buttermilk Syrup

Amazingly yummy.....I was strictly a maple syrup kind of gal until I had this:

Buttermilk Syrup

1 c. butter
1 c. buttermilk (see below if you don't have buttermilk)
2 c. sugar
1/4 c. dark Karo syrup
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. vanilla

Place first 5 ingredients in large sauce pan. (baking soda makes it foam up and tends to boil over, so watch carefully) Simmer on low til sugar dissolves, remove from heat and add vanilla. Serve warm. Also great as ice cream topping.

If you don't have buttermilk, make your own. You can't tell the difference.

Buttermilk
Per one cup of buttermilk do the following:

1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice

Let these sit together in a glass measuring cup for at least 10 minutes.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Okay, that sounds so good, I think I'm going to have to make some soon!

Genny said...

It is positively delicious! You won't be disappointed.

Amanda said...

I've got to try it too! Yum!

Marsha said...

Genny, when you said you made your own buttermilk I was thinking back to the days when mom made butter and then poured off the extra liquid making buttermilk. To those of you who try this just beware to make it in a large pan, it tends to boil over very quickly and has a lot of foam to begin with, but it is the yummiest. I got the recipe from a friend in my ward in Phoenix and was hooked on it immediately.

kiddle97 said...

Ok, if anyone sees these comments months after the fact... while we were in Phoenix for Thanksgiving, Genny made waffles and this syrup to go on top, and oh MY, it was good. So now you have it from an outside source, too, just how good this recipe is.

WANT TO CONTRIBUTE?

We would love to have your recipes! If you would like to contribute to this blog, send me an email at maryhicken@gmail.com and I will send you an author invite!

Recipe Requests

Looking for a certain recipe? Then ask around for it here!

Index